Thursday, June 07, 2007

Day 19 of wedlock

Just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. My first longer-than-a-speech exposure to Vonnegut - I've only read his "Fates worse than death" speech before. Not sure quite what to think about it, how to respond, etc. I read it as part of SSRPC's book club - we're meeting tonight to discuss it. Hopefully the other women will be able to shed some light on my fuzzy understanding.

Next in line: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. I LOVED Hurston when we read her in Am Lit III - so peppy, funny, and confident. Her writing has blown me away in just the first couple chapters.

Re-read/close reading: The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis. I'm leading the high school/college girl's book study at SSRPC this summer. Yesterday was our first meeting, but the books weren't in so we just discussed love in our culture and in Scripture (with the help of a weird-almost-funny-but-a-bit-true article i found on the web ). I've been looking for a study guide, but can't find one. Usually study guides aren't all that helpful, as they contain knowledge-level, close-ended questions, but I can't even find a bad one. Maybe once I'm done this study I can publish the first-ever study guide on this book :-)

In other news, I put up some wedding pictures on Facebook (a few out of over 800).

No comments: