Sunday, March 19, 2006

The Fall

so Bangor and Allison Perry and I went to Eat 'n' Park last night real quick, and on the way back they brought up a question that they were debating in HUM 303: to what extent has the Fall affected man's abilities?

At first I was really quick to draw the line, and said that obviously things like being lame, or blind, are part of the Fall.

But what about skills? such as math, writing, athletic, music abilities? Are we all supposed to be perfectly good at them? Or is there a certain limit to our abilities, and even in Heaven we won't be totally perfect at them?

So then I thought, uh, does it really matter what exactly I think? Well, I'm going to be a teacher. And so if I believe that everyone should be able to write perfectly, but they don't because of the Fall, I am going to strive as hard as I can to propel students to perfection (recognizing, of course, that they won't get there in this life). If I believe that students aren't necessarily gifted in writing, and so will NEVER be able to write perfectly, I will work around it more, and accommodate their weaknesses.

I hope this makes sense...I'd appreciate your thoughts!

1 comment:

Robbie Schmidtberger said...

sounds like a good and edifying conversation... and a good thought to ponder.. one i have never thought of either... THANKS!

but my impromptu thoughts are diverse.. God has created us with roles and gifts which existed before the fall. I am mainly getting that out of the complimentarian view of man and woman and how we compliment each other.

God obviously gave each of us different gifts and skills... and i do think that theat has always been so. And the effect of the fall on it is a perversion of that makes it harder for us to maximize the potential of our gifts and skills. I am getting this from where God tells Adam that with sweat you will til the ground, and to Eve that childbearing you will know sin.

It is certainly something to meditate on more. thank you!