Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Greatest Dilemma

I think one of the great dilemmas of my life has been whether to use a pen or a pencil while taking notes in class.

There are pros and cons of each, of course, but I have never seem to come to a great conclusion. The influencing factor to which I use at any given time largely has to do with what I have available.

Pencils are wonderful. As an English major, they evoke a feeling of antiquity and creativity. It is also incredibly empowering to know that you can erase whatever you write down.

On the other hand, Pens have a quality that cannot be equalled. The grace and sense of finality that they bring to a piece of paper is satisfying. And yet, the type of Pen greatly matters. Just any old cheap Pen really brings down the effect of your writing, but a nice, elegant Pen with dark ink just sharpens the appearance of what you write. There is of course, the horrifying occurance of a mistake being made with a Pen. A remedy has been attempted for this in the making of Erasable Ink, but the quality of this ink is poor and not worth using. Because of this, extreme caution must be exercised while using a Pen, lest the appearance of your paper be marred by mistakes.

For the moment, my mind has not been worried over which utensil to use, as I do not possess a high quality Pen. I write in Pencil, for now, and write with pride.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, I shall buy you my favorite working pencil and then I shall mail it to you. :o)

Michael said...

If I have to use a writing instrument to take notes, you'll probably find me using a pencil.

But...

I normally use my laptop for notes because it's faster and nothing needs to be erased. Plus I don't have to worry about filing the piece of paper somewhere. =)